I have heard that the Victoria and Albert Museum is great for design, but I didn’t realize quite how much was there. Apparently, there are over seven miles of galleries inside! I was particularly interested in going here because it houses a huge collection of decorative and applied arts from all over the world: furniture, tapestries, wallpaper, teapots, serving bowls, snuff boxes, lamps, clothing and costumes, metal lampposts, tiles, bound books . . . the list could go on and on.
I showed up an hour before class so I could have a look around, and headed directly for the “Design Since 1945” and “postmodernism” exhibits. While the collections were smaller than I was hoping for, I got to see many originals by famous designers.

I found it interesting that the collection was housed in this gallery space: the whole museum doesn’t look like this. I liked the feeling that I was in a library, with old juxtaposed against new.
Love, love, love the V and A.....and the Tate Modern!
ReplyDelete