Took a boat trip up the Thames to Greenwich today with the class. Got a view of the O2 Center, where some of the Olympic games will be taking place. It is one of the ugliest buildings I have ever laid eyes on: it looks like a fried egg with toothpicks sticking out of it.
no, it's not still under construction. this is what it is supposed to look like.
Greenwich is famous for its observatory and for being the location of the Prime Meridian. It turns out that a prize was awarded by the British government to the first person to figure out how to navigate East and West—North and South could be figured out by the sun and stars, but East and West were a problem for ships navigating the seas, and too much money was being lost from ships not knowing where they were and crashing into rocks and reefs. So some guy figured out time zones and developed a very accurate clock, and he won the prize. The Prime Meridian is marked by a line at the Observatory, and you can pay a pound for a certificate that says that you have stood at 0 degrees longitude.
Not impressed. If you couldn’t tell, I wasn’t into it. Greenwich was fine, I guess, but it was drizzly and cold, the students were despondent, and it was just one of those sleepy days where I would have rather been in my pajamas. The best part of Greenwich was the view of London from the Observatory hill:
We ate lunch at a Chinese restaurant and went home.
Oh well, I don’t have to like everything, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment