I have never been an avid newspaper reader. When I get a newspaper, I skim the headlines, maybe read a few articles, and then go straight for the Sudoku puzzle. But I have been buying The Times every weekday for two weeks now, for a reason 95% unrelated to any interest in headlines or brain puzzles: when you buy the paper, you get a free Penguin edition of a classic novel. FREE BOOKS!!!!! I am in heaven!!! Each week has been a different theme: first week was Films, last week was London (Orwell’s Down and Out in Paris and London, Selvon’s The Lonely Londoners, among others), this week is Chillers (Poe’s The Masque of the Red Death, Shirley Jackson’s We Have Always Lived in the Castle), and next week is the last week.
So for 90p a day, I get the news, Sudoku, Times2 lifestyle section, and a free novel. This was a promotion made in heaven. PLUS, it seems only to be happening at Caffe Nero, an Italian coffeeshop that can be found all over London. I already liked this place for the sole reason that a caffe mocha is the same price as a cappuccino: chocolate and whipped cream for free in my daily cuppa? Yes, please!
Now I just have to figure out how to get all these new books home . . .
I love reading the newspaper (though I've almost entirely shifted to reading online), and that promo sounds like pure heaven.
ReplyDeleteShip them, dear! Mom
ReplyDeleteDamn, they should start doing this in the US...then maybe newspapers would survive...
ReplyDelete