Wednesday, September 23, 2009

23 September | Without Camera

I lost my camera in the Denver International Airport before I left. I got to the terminal, took a picture of the sign at the gate that said “London/Heathrow,” got a drink at a bar, and then noticed that my camera was gone. I tore apart my backpack, but I either dropped it or it was stolen from my bag—it was at the top and I have no idea how I managed to be this careless. So I haven’t had a camera at all so far, and it is kind of killing me. I hadn’t realized how much I rely on my camera as a supplement to my own memory, and I feel like I will forget so much because I haven’t taken any pictures. Also, I really wanted to be able to photograph while everything was still very new to me. Already I am getting used to being here and am not noticing every little thing I see.

However, I do think this has made me write much more than usual: my camera had replaced my journal. It is forcing me to rethink description, and I wish I had my thesaurus here with me so I could pinpoint my thoughts more accurately.

A new camera is on its way here now. But I am leaving for York for the weekend tomorrow and won’t have it until I get back. I am really disappointed about this because I probably won’t be back there. I will try to do a good job recording everything in writing. I am finding, though, that it is hard to make myself stop and write: I keep walking around London for hours and end up in a daze. What I need to do is stop and sit down in a park, give my back a break, and write some notes for myself.

1 comment:

  1. it's so funny--as i was reading your description of regents park, i was thinking how beautiful it sounds and how your description is so lovely. and then i was thinking it would be cool to see a picture. and then you made this post:O) i love reading your stories about london! i think you may be a travel writer, kristy firebaugh bertrand!

    ReplyDelete