I had forgotten about how much I will have to now rely on talking to strangers. That was a strange adjustment for me the last time I was in Europe. But I think it will be good for me—I am usually in my iPod cocoon at home when I am on the train or walking somewhere. Strangers don’t talk to one another. But it looks like I am going to have to, partially because my run this morning made it quite obvious that I am going to get lost here—a lot. The street names change every three blocks, and the streets curve so it’s really difficult to determine which direction I’m headed. There are no street signs; there are plaques on the sides of buildings at intersections that give street names, but sometimes there isn’t anything and I just had to guess.
My favorite part about this morning (besides seeing St. Pauls) was passing the London Wall area—there is an ultramodern high rise with a sign on it that says “London Wall.” Not exactly the Great Wall I had pictured in my head. But then on the other side of the street I saw the ruins of what looked like it could have been part of a fortress wall—flat on top with tiny bricked-up windows and an archway which I immediately imagined a horse could fit through perfectly. Very strange, the juxtaposition of the future against the past here.
how exciting! i can follow you through my blog--i only follow one other person and they don't use theirs:O) can't wait to read about your experiences. your first day sounds awesome! i'm so excited you're there!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to hear about your adventures! Definitely keep blogging - I'll feel like I'm right there:) Although, I'd rather come and actually see the crap you are writing about....we'll see:) xo
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel about talking to strangers, I'm the same way! Can't wait to hear more about your travels. I added you to my reader, so I won't miss a beat!
ReplyDelete